Wednesday, November 1, 2017

IWSG: The Write Time




            Time for another posting with the Insecure Writer’s Support Group, where writers can share their insecurities and encourage one another. IWSG was founded by Alex J. Cavanaugh and we share our posts the first Wednesday of the month.

            I keep meaning to do an update post, and the next thing you know another month has gone by. I find myself constantly caught up in other things or just downright tired. I have bits and pieces of writing that I have done over the past few months, but nothing substantial. I even started a mystery/crime short story for the IWSG anthology contest, but then I decided that I am completely terrible at writing mystery/crime and probably have to read more in that genre beyond Sherlock Holmes.


            The optional question for this month is: Win or not, do you usually finish your NaNo project? Have any of them gone on to be published?
For my non-writer friends and those who are new to the online writing community, I was in your shoes two years ago asking “What is NaNo?” NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month and it takes place in November. In order to “win” you must write 50,000 words of your novel. When I first heard about it I knew that I would eventually make an attempt at participating. Last year I was not ready, and I’m not ready this year either, but I did set up an account under a pen name. I have some other projects and preparations to work on this month, so attempting to win NaNo would not be an obtainable goal. I have decided to use this month to work on getting into a better writing habit, and the word count feature is nice to see how much I get written. I’m probably not going to work on one single novel. I have a few ideas for some short stories that I would like to work on and other bits and pieces I’d like to dive into. According to the forums on the site, I would be classified as a NaNo rebel since I'm working on multiple pieces, which is fine with me :)


For those who are in it to win it or at least making an effort to finish a novel, I commend you. Happy writing! 

10 comments:

  1. NaNo rebels are awesome! I think it's great to find a way that NaNo can help you, even if it doesn't strictly follow the rules. All the best with your NaNoing this month :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be a rebel!
    I couldn't write a mystery either. Too complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your projects. Of course you will succeed because you've found a way to make it work for you. Do what is best for your goals. That makes me happy.
    All the best.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've noticed the bleachers are filling up. That is, the bleachers of those of us who are watching NaNo from the sidelines and cheering the participants on. I doubt I'll ever do a NaNo. It's not my process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. NaNo doesn't fit my style of writing--I have to go back and fix something before I go forward. But it works for many people whom I happily cheer. Good luck with all your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got a mystery/crime story brewing in the back of my head, but it's for my Cera Chronicles series, meaning it'll be completely irreverent to all the tropes that belong to the genre. :)

    I've found writing terribly difficult with my kids around, so I just use NaNo as an excuse to shoo them away so I can focus on my writing--not something I'm willing to do normally.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like reading mystery and suspense novels but I wouldn't try to write one. Thanks for sharing the Sherlock picture. I miss that show and watch the reruns way too often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, Sherlock is one of my favorite shows, I miss it, too.

      Delete
  8. Hello, new INFJ Twitter friend! You know Alex?? Small world gets smaller :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Keith! Sorry for the delayed reply, I've been neglecting my blog again. The funny thing is that we have been following each others' blogs for over a year now, isn't that crazy?!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment and I will visit you back :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...