Wednesday, January 3, 2018

IWSG: Plan? What Plan?


Happy New Year! It’s time for the first post of 2018 with the Insecure Writer’s Support Group, where writers can share their insecurities and encourage one another. IWSG was founded by Alex J. Cavanaugh, and we share our posts on the first Wednesday of the month. We are given an optional question to answer each month, and this is the question for January:

What steps have you taken to put a schedule in place for your writing and publishing?

            That is a very convicting question. What steps have I taken? What plans have I made for writing? I certainly did not have a schedule or plans in place last year, and I haven’t gotten very far with my writing. I’ll be honest, there are many moments when I don’t feel like much of a writer at all. I rarely have the energy or the patience to sit down and write most days. As an introvert working in an extroverted environment, I usually feel so drained at the end of each day. I can’t concentrate. I can’t recall my ideas. I can’t write. Believe me, I have contemplated quitting my job and diving into an entrepreneurial lifestyle many, many times. I stay because I’m scared of losing my financial security. Other part-time writers somehow manage to balance their time, and I do not know how they do it. I have tried different methods and nothing seems to stick, except journaling. I do tend to write out my thoughts, prayers, and feelings on a regular basis. The problem is that those journal writings are deeply personal, and I’m not comfortable sharing most of them. But, at least I have been getting some writing done.

            As the New Year was approaching, I was thinking about my current works in progress. My “quiet book” is still on hold right now. I have a handful of short stories that I have started, and one story I would like to fix up. I also have some non-fiction writing and poetry I could work on. It’s not the ideas that I’m lacking. It’s more of a lack of motivation to sort through it all and get those ideas in a presentable form. What are some methods you use to motivate yourself when you lack the energy to write?


“May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you're wonderful, and don't forget to make some art -- write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself.” –Neil Gaiman

“If you have other things in your life—family, friends, good productive day work—these can interact with your writing and the sum will be all the richer.” – David Brin

14 comments:

  1. Even with a job I enjoy, time to write and the energy to write is fleeting. Maybe it is time for you to consider other options. Pray about it first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alex! I needed a reminder to keep praying about my job situation.

      Delete
  2. When I was working full-time, I would often feel drained by the end of the day. I can't imagine finding the energy to write back then. Maybe try to find another creative pursuit which gives you energy at the end of the day and not worry about writing just now? Maybe that will give you the creative oomph that will spark your writing again at a later date?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, I think you're right. I have some unfinished crafting and coloring projects that would be fun to pursue on those more draining days :)

      Delete
  3. One of my greatest motivators is reading a flash fiction, or a poem, or a short story written by me that has won some sort of recognition. Just reading it reminds me that all that I have inside me to share will never happen if I don't continue to step up to the plate.
    Wishing you a successful 2018 filled with lots of motivation.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat! I do feel that way when I read some of my writing. I don't want to keep it all to myself; I want to share it :)

      Delete
  4. The IWSG Book Club is reading The Weekend Novelist by Robert J. Ray. It could help you to write on those days you're off work.

    Good luck in 2018!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chrys, I saw that book in the IWSG newsletter, and it sounds perfect for my situation right now. I think I'm going to try to start reading it this weekend :)

      Delete
  5. Oh, it is so tough to balance life and writing. I used to have to be extroverted in my job as a children's librarian, and yes, I was always too tired to write when I got home from work, sometimes at 7:00 pm.

    Consider writing before you go to work. I did this for years, however even then, it was a choice: do I go out and jog, thus get some exercise? OR do I write?

    Best wishes for 2018.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy! I have to deal with those kind of choices on my days off, do I write or get some organizing done? Write or exercise? Write or spend time with family and friends? Balance is hard!

      Delete
  6. Sorry your job is so enervating. I hope you can figure out how to get your writing in. Alas, like you I haven't been doing much writing as of late. I guess we all go through fallow periods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, I agree that I have been in a fallow period. Interesting word, by the way, I had to look it up :)

      Delete
  7. Truth: when you're too drained to be creative, you probably need to conserve energy and not stress about being creative. I find that stress is the number one mojo killer for me. If I write when I want to write around all the insanity, it's never a burden, and therefore never difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Crystal. Stress is definitely a creativity killer. I also feel more motivated when I'm less burdened by other things.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment and I will visit you back :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...