Wednesday, July 1, 2015

IWSG: Time is Ticking Away

            Has it been a month already?  It seems like only yesterday that I put up my first post for the Insecure Writer’s Support Group!  IWSG was founded by Alex J. Cavanaugh for writers to share their insecurities and encourage one another.  Group postings occur on the first Wednesday of each month, click the link above if you’d like to join us.

             Right now, I’m insecure about time.  It seems as though I am constantly trying to perform an impossible balancing act of working full-time, church activities, spending time with family, spending time with friends, taking advantage of a business opportunity, writing, reading, hobbies, unwinding on Netflix, and most importantly (although often most ignored) Bible study and prayer.  Whew! Can you imagine if I had kids?  At the end of each day, I try so hard to be positive and think about what I accomplished, but more often than not I end up staring at my never-ending to do list and feel like I’ve failed.  I question my writing capability sometimes and wonder if I will ever take the time to put my ideas into sensible words and stories.  Prioritizing has never been my strong suit, so I end up trying to squeeze as much as I can into whatever time I have.  But I want to concentrate on the tasks that need my undivided attention and that is hard to do when there are so many things I’m trying to get done at once.  I wish I had some great go-to solution for this time conundrum, but all I can really do is take each day as it comes and make the most of it.  I recently read (source: Get Organized Wizard Blog) that it helps to just focus on a few items each day that can help you reach your long term goals instead of trying to mark off as many to-do list items as possible.  Of course, having the right attitude helps as well.  Do you feel like you’re constantly chasing time?  How do you manage your priorities?

 

14 comments:

  1. For me, I always check the easiest things on my to-do list off first. If they are done and out of the way I can focus on the more difficult things. I also try to manage my time well and not force myself to get everything done all at once. You just can't do that, and it's not worth the stress trying. I guess just take a deep breath and tackle one thing at a time. That's really all you can do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to prioritize my day early and work on those things that are shouting the loudest. By noon my list has usually gone by the wayside so I can work on my WIP and is picked back up after I've gotten that writing done. Breathe. One thing at a time and cross it off the list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! You do have a lot on your plate. Time can be especially tricky when you have so many obligations but also need time to write. Sometimes eliminating responsibilities helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find if I keep my priorities like this:
    God
    hubby
    family
    job
    serving
    leisure, etc

    I manage my time better :) I do try to start the day praying/reading the Bible (don't always succeed, 5/7 days I manage to) and I do a bit of house cleaning every day, plus work full time. Evenings are unwind time. I need to get back to volunteering at church but that might be a month or two down the line. We are waiting to see the new pastor at the church to see if we "like" him before I get involved serving.

    Truly evaluate what you do and see if there is anything that can take a back burner for a bit while you pursue that which you truly want to pursue, which in your case might be writing :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starting the day with God is definitely what I aim for. I try to do some Bible study first thing in the morning. I also find that if I put God first, the day does go better :)

      Delete
  5. I call it a juggling act. Now you know why I have clones.
    I don't know how people with kids do it either. I would implode.
    Make a list of everything you're doing and see if some things can be shifted or dropped, giving you a little more time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where did you get these clones you mentioned? ;)

      Delete
  6. Thank you all for sharing! I agree that doing one thing at a time works best and thanks for the reminder to breathe Mandy and Karen :) Chrys, Betty, and Alex, you each suggested eliminating or putting some things on hold, and I do need to reevaluate my goals and decide what I can push back for a while to make room for more writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's never enough time, yet we all have the same 24 hours. I think I just don't divide my slices of it right. If you find the clones, call me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still looking for those clones and trying to divide my slices more proportionately :)

      Delete
  8. I really admire those who juggle a family, including 3 or 4 kids sometimes, a day job (full-time or part-time) and still put in the writing hours.
    Simply amazing.
    I think it's all about prioritizing... and finding a balance.
    That go-to solution you mentioned? Does not exist.
    We can only do so much within a 24 hour time frame. A step at a time.
    Happy Writing!
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, one step at a time is probably the best approach, thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  9. Finding writing time AND having a life is tough:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more :) Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment and I will visit you back :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...