Monday, December 14, 2015

The Joy of Christmas

 
                It’s time for the Christmas Joy Blog Hop! I’m excited to be hosting today and I would like to thank those of you who shared my sign-up post on your pages! I would also like to thank the participants, it wouldn’t be a blog hop without all of you and I look forward to reading your posts :)

****************************************

                Christmas was a very special time when I was a kid. I would get so excited about opening presents on Christmas Eve at home and then waking up early the next morning to drive two hours to Grandma’s house to open more presents. I did not realize the true value of those moments until after my grandma died. My mom, dad, brother, and I moved to Oklahoma about a year after Grandma passed away and the next few Christmases seemed very sad and lonely with just the four of us. I have longed for another big family Christmas since then. I cannot believe that this Christmas will mark 20 years since the last time my mother’s side of the family all gathered together at Grandma’s house. Over the years, I have realized that the presents were only a small part of the joy of spending the holiday with family, and my small family has started our own traditions to celebrate each year. We started using stockings at some point when I was in high school, we had a few Christmas dinners with friends from the church, my brother and I have taken care of Christmas dinner for the past couple years, and my dad likes to read the story of Christ’s birth from the Bible on Christmas day. Christmas has become special for me again, and it has nothing to do with what I receive. I enjoy seeing someone’s face light up when I finally find the right gift for him/her. I enjoy hearing about how God sent His son to the earth as a little baby in Bethlehem and all the beautiful songs about Him, like this one:
 
 

                Christmas, especially this year in light of recent world events, reminds me that we still have hope in Christ. When life looks bleak, I think of the genuine, innocent joy of a child watching Christmas lights. In the midst of bad news, I am grateful to find stories of good Samaritans who help the poor, weary, wounded, and brave. As the Bible says in Ecclesiastes, there is a time for mourning and sorrow, but there is also a time for joy and laughter. I find joy in Christmas when I seek time to fellowship with family and friends throughout the month of December.

****************************************

And now, here is a quick list of a few of my favorite things:

Christmas food: decorated sugar cookies











Beverage: Peppermint Mocha from Starbucks
Decoration: My snow globe collection
Songs: O Come, O Come Emmanuel and What Child is This?
Tradition: driving or walking through Christmas light displays











Party: my church’s young adult Christmas party is usually the most fun

TV Episode: Garfield's Christmas Special
Movie: White Christmas


Speaking of a white Christmas, I also really enjoy seeing snow on the ground on Christmas day and I hope to see some this year.
Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!






 

I will be taking a break from posting for the rest of the month, so I would like to wish all of you a very Merry Christmas! If you would like some more Christmas cheer, please visit the other participants below. The sign-up will remain open until 11:59pm CST if anyone else wants to join in!
 
Christmas Joy Blog Hop Participants:
 
10. Birgit
 

24 comments:

  1. Hi, Liz:
    Thank you for hosting this Christmas party. I enjoyed reading all your favorite things and I loved the Hallelujah video. Merry Christmas to you and your family!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! I love how they rewrote the lyrics to that song and they played it so beautifully. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  2. It is about family and celebrating the birth of Christ.
    Finding that one gift that rocks my wife is a joy every year.
    Thanks for hosting the bloghop. Today is my last post until next year as well. Have a Blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex, this has been fun so far, I may have to do it again :) Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  3. Merry Christmas Liz! Thanks for doing this blog hop; looking forward to checking out everyone's entry!

    It is hard when we move away from family, especially the first few Christmases. It is good that your family then started developing your own traditions that you carry with you even to this day. I remember our first Christmas away from family my mom sent us homemade cookies that arrived Christmas Eve. That was nice since I'm not a baker, LOL :)

    Over the years we too developed traditions that made the holidays special even if there were only the four of us too :)

    I saw that video last week on someone's Facebook account. So beautiful!

    I hope it is a delightful rest of the season for you :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betty! I enjoy baking when I have the time, but I think the cookies in picture I shared were made by my brother, lol :) Merry Christmas to you and your family!

      Delete
  4. O Come Emmanuel is my favorite carol too. I'd never heard it until we sang it in my junior high chorus. And where's the snow? I'm two miles from Lake Ontario and we got nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tamara, I'm surprised there isn't snow up there. In my part of Oklahoma, we have had nothing but rain so far and I have decided that I do not like rain in December. We need some snow!

      Delete
  5. LOVE the Star Trek NG clip - too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sylvia, I saw it last year and just had to include it somehow :)

      Delete
  6. I understand missing a loved one when they were a part of your entire life...and still are. My dad, who loved Christmas, passed away in 1988 and it was so very tough for my mom. I knew to keep Christmas traditions going or else she would give in the the sadness especially at Christmas time. What is wonderful is that we have the memories and the traditions that still make them smile from above. I love White Christmas but It's A Wonderful Life is my Favourite. Love the Star Trek clip:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit! I agree that we need to keep the traditions going instead of allowing sadness to overwhelm us. I still cherish the memories of my grandma's house :)

      Delete
  7. Peace , Joy and Happiness be yours this Christmas, Elizabeth. Every day is an astounding gift. I love how well spliced together this Star Trek video plays. Its got such a happy buzz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same to you, Spacerguy! Whoever made that Star Trek video did an excellent job :)

      Delete
  8. My mom died a few years ago, so I know what you mean about Christmas feeling like a lonely time after that kind of loss. Being with family is more important than gifts.

    The TNG version of Let it Snow is one of my favorites! I hope you have a Merry Christmas! Make it so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L.G., Merry Christmas! Family members are the greatest gifts and I treasure every moment with them :)

      Delete
  9. Thanks for hosting the hop, Liz. Being with friends and family is what makes Christmas for me, too. I love that version of Hallelujah. Merry Christmas to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for participating, Susan and it was my pleasure to host :) Cloverton does a beautiful job with their Christmas Hallelujah! Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  10. So much truth in your words about our hope in Christ. This is but one more day to remember what we should never forget on any day.

    I'll be with family again this year. A lot of travel will be involved but it's worth it. Hopefully the weather will cooperate with our plans.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arlee, you're right, we should not forget the hope we find in Christ at any time of the year, not just Christmas. I hope you enjoy your time with family, Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  11. We opened presents on Christmas Eve too. Still do actually. It's the best! :D It's made Christmas Eve special. And Christmas Day we for Santa...I didn't have nearby grandparents.

    You have a snowball collection? I'm jealous! You should share a picture of it sometime. :)

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have a Merry Christmas too! Some of my best memories were at my grandma's house also. When my grandpa was still alive, he could play piano and we'd all sing Christmas carols. I do miss those days. You're right, it's not about the stuff...it's about the time spent with those we love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for hosting the blog hop. It was fun. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you all for visiting and for those who participated in the Christmas Joy Blog Hop! I hope all of you have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment and I will visit you back :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...