Friday, January 26, 2018

Winter Poetry

            Occasionally, on the last Friday of the month, I do a Flashback Friday post. I suppose this post would fit into that category because I am sharing some things I've written in the past, although I have never shared these on my blog before. I'm sharing two short poems I wrote about winter. The first was written when I was 17 for my Junior English class portfolio. The second was written in 2013 as a response to someone on Facebook who wrote a poem about how she disliked winter.

Change

The winter winds are starting to blow.
Blowing the orange and red leaves to the ground.
The ground is covered with an icy dew.
Dew that makes the grass crunch with each step.
Step-by-step, the season is changing.
Changing as snowflakes begin falling from the sky.
The sky is a pale blue without much light.
Light comes from the bright, white blanket of snow.
Snow that glistens with beauty.
Beauty surrounds you in the snow and ice.
Ice covers the ponds and trees.
Trees are now bare, in the beginning of the winter.


In Defense of Winter

Would you like it with a good book,
or how about cuddled in a nook?
Would you like it nestled by a fire?
That should satisfy your warmth desire.
Would you like it with boots and a sweater?
Those certainly make the best of the weather!
Not even in the fresh, fallen snow
with beautiful whiteness all aglow?
I love the cold! Please don't wish it away.
It's much more pleasant than a hot summer day!


I know there are many people who do not share my sentiments of winter. Which season is your favorite? Have you ever written about it?

4 comments:

  1. I like the cold better than the heat as well!
    The last poem put me in mind of Green Eggs and Ham. (Which is a good thing. Makes it memorable.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely poems. I really liked this line --> "Dew that makes the grass crunch with each step" It reminded me of growing up and loving to crunch the cold frozen grass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As we don't have winter where I live, I don't dislike winter all that much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like winter. It's just so cozy in comparison to the heat of summer.

    Really, though, I like Autumn and Spring best. Just cold enough. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment and I will visit you back :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...