Wednesday, June 6, 2018

IWSG: Place Generic Title Here


Time for another posting with the Insecure Writer’s Support Group, where writers can share their insecurities and encourage one another. IWSG was founded by Alex J. Cavanaugh and we share our posts the first Wednesday of the month.

May was a rough month for me. My dad had surgery to remove cancer from his prostate on May 4, and then ended up in the hospital for an extra week due to various issues. So, for eight out of the ten days he was there, I was driving back and forth with my mom, who can’t drive herself, to the hospital (70 miles away from home). By the grace of God and the prayers of many friends from church, we survived that ordeal. It was a relief to finally get settled back at home, but half the month was gone and I was exhausted. Going back to work after all that was very difficult for me, especially since there have been some changes with staff and scheduling the last few weeks. Needless to say, writing was not on the agenda last month. Although, I did write a rather lengthy letter to a friend, but I have not sent it yet because I felt like it needed some editing. So, it’s good to know my writer's brain is still working.☺

Sorry that I don’t have much to say related to writing; I’ve been too tired to be insecure. I do have some thoughts on the optional question this month, which is: What's harder for you to come up with, book titles or character names?

Without a doubt, titles are my weakness. I usually struggle with finding titles for my blog posts and short stories. I don’t even like the title of this blog, but after all these years, I can’t seem to come up with anything to change it to! That’s why I just use my name for my Facebook page and Twitter. I probably overthink it. I feel like the title needs to be something all-encompassing, witty, and meaningful, all in a handful of words. Most of the time, when I spend too long thinking about it, I end up giving up and picking something that feels generic. There are only a few titles I’ve used that I thought were clever, and the rest were rather lame. Character names are a bit easier. I sometimes have trouble initially, but I usually find a name that works. I feel like most of my characters embody their names very well. 

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad he's better and home again. That's enough to stress anyone into not writing.
    Titles are far more difficult for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry about not having much to say for today. Life happens. We all understand that. I'm glad your dad is home and doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that sounds exhausting and nerve-racking. I hope life goes easier on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry you've had a tough month. I hope that June gets better and better. I'm glad you had some great support throughout the hard stuff!
    Despite what you've said about titles, you came up with a super clever one for this month! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're excused from writing for the month of May. That would be enough to exhaust anyone, and that's without the driving.

    I agree with you about titles. I'm awful at it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about your dad; hoping he is on his way to a full recovery. Some people are very clever with titles, I'm not one of them I do believe.

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment and I will visit you back :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...