Monday, February 1, 2021

Given a Second Chance

                I was once reading Isaiah 38 where King Hezekiah was praying and crying out to the Lord for his life. God granted his request. God had the prophet Isaiah tell Hezekiah that he would be given an additional 15 years of life, and God, in an act to show Hezekiah He meant what He said, made the sun go backwards! That story made me think of a similar situation in Les Misérables, where the priest gave Jean Valjean a second chance and Jean was shocked that anyone would help him at a moment when he thought he would be thrown back into prison. Hezekiah and Jean’s words are similar in their songs that follow these second chances. I know in these stories that the men were given a second chance after moral failures, but I think this concept could also apply to personal goals.

                We sometimes use a new year to start over. 2020 was a very difficult year for most of us. Plans canceled, dreams ruined, and goals unachieved made this last year feel rather disheartening. Now, as we enter into February, how many of us have already lost sight of our goals for the new year? Maybe circumstances outside of your control have hindered your plans once again, maybe you decided to ease into this year with caution, or perhaps you have procrastinated or failed to achieve what you hoped to over the last month. Regardless of the circumstances or the failures, you can always try again or set a new goal. Sometimes, you just need to take a different approach. I had spent years trying to sort through and organize my belongings, only to end up buried with stuff over and over again, until I discovered the KonMari method, which worked wonders for me. Also, when it comes to taking a different approach, sometimes something that works for another person will not work for you. That seems to be especially true with diets. We are all different, our bodies are different, and sometimes we may have to try and fail a few times before we find a method that works. The point is that you keep trying! If you are given an opportunity to make a positive change in your life like Hezekiah or Jean, make the most of it. As long as you are alive and breathing, God still has a purpose for your life. You can start over, you can try again, and you can keep working toward your goals. Don’t give up!

                I would like to welcome my returning followers and new readers back to my blog. I have given my blog a second chance and a new name. I had hoped to start posting early in January, but I suppose I should take a dose of my own advice and work on finding an approach that works better for me with my writing.

9 comments:

  1. I agree with you, just keep trying and don't give up. Might be two steps backward for every step forward but progress is slowly being made. I like the concept of setting goals over making resolutions and then slowly chipping away at meeting them! I'm not really blogging now on my own blog and its private so I don't get scam comments. I may return to it some day but I'm still reading select blogs like yours :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you, Betty! That is how I usually tackle my goals, one small step at a time. I had wondered about your blog, I was looking through the list the day before I posted this and didn't see it there. It's understandable to need a break, I just got off mine :)

      Delete
  2. There's a reason why I won't make New Year's Resolutions. I don't like the idea that one can only make a fresh start in January. I like being able to change things up whenever. Welcome back to the blogosphere. It's certainly been a weird time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz! I agree, the last year has been strange. I'm with you on making a fresh start whenever the timing works, does not have to be the New Year.

      Delete
  3. At the beginning of this year, one of my coworkers asked if we had made any New Years resolutions. Being the pessimist my mother created, my response was, “I didn’t make any, because I fail at enough things in life and don’t need to add to my already growing list.” I was joking of course, I don’t keep track of my failures. This is why I’m glad to have read your post. Sometimes we need to hear from a different perspective. Whether it’s from God or from an earthly conduit. I believe I heard exactly what God wanted me to hear thanks to you, Elizabeth. “Don’t give up.”

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. You are so right that we have to find our own path. I fail at so many things, but what I succeed in is NOT being discouraged by those failures. I keep trying - even if it sometimes feels that I am battering my head against a wall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great attitude and very sound advice. Besides, it's nuts to keep doing the same thing and expecting something different to happen.
    Not sure why your blog didn't show up in my Feedly, but I will be sure to add it now that you are back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last year I did things with the KonMarie method. I had a lot of fun purging things that no longer sparked joy in me. I didn't have much to begin with, but I still was able to donate a lot. It made me feel lighter.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment and I will visit you back :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...