Wednesday, October 3, 2018

IWSG: October 2018


Time for another posting with the Insecure Writer’s Support Group, where writers can share their insecurities and encourage one another. IWSG was founded by Alex J. Cavanaugh and we share our posts on the first Wednesday of the month.

I feel as though my months have been going up and down with writing. One day, I feel motivated and actually write things, and the next day, my creativity seems to be lost. I really do not know what happened to September. It came in quickly and was gone before I even looked up. I guess I had a lot going on my days off. I sincerely apologize to those who I did not visit back last month. I try to do most of my blog visits on my days off, because I’ve been burnt out with my job and do not have the mental/social energy on work days. I had the first Thursday of September off, but I had to take my mom to the doctor and we ended up shopping all day afterwards. By the following week, I felt guilty and it seemed like it was “too late” for IWSG visits. I'll be honest that one of my biggest insecurities is my lack of correspondence skills. Combine that with years of procrastination experience, and I certainly am a well of insecurity, although sometimes I won’t realize it until tomorrow. ;)

The question for October is How do major life events affect your writing? Has writing ever helped you through something?

It depends on the event. If it is something really happy and exciting, my writing will be in short and sweet bursts. I’ll write sentence-long descriptions to remind myself of the moment later. I do not write a lot as those types of events occur, but I do sometimes (not as often as I would like) reflect back on what happened and write afterwards. Exciting events, such as my vacations to London and Florida, inspire most of my creative visuals of worlds and characters. When sad things happen, I tend to write during the events. This relates to the second part of this month’s question, because I write to help work through all the depressed and confused emotions I may be feeling. Most of my nonfictional writing (devotions, prayers, and journaling) and some poetry is written during sad or disappointing times. I have a lot of those nonfictional writings I wish I could utilize, but they require quite of bit of revisions in order to make them presentable. Maybe instead of starting a new journal entry, I should rewrite something during my next disappointing moment.

10 comments:

  1. My creativity comes in real fits and bursts too. It would be nice if it could schedule itself regularly :-) I like that you write sentence long descriptions of things so that you can go back and reminds yourself of them later. Smart idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen! It would be great if creative bursts would schedule themselves :)

      Delete
  2. Trips fill me up, but I don't really write much fiction while I'm traveling. It's like I have to soak up and consider the real life experience to fill the creative well for speculative fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Tyrean. I try to hone in on the emotions and excitement I feel during travel to enrich my writing.

      Delete
  3. Trips are great to feel invigorated but sometimes, we need difficult times to bring out the artistry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Birgit. Writing can stem from good and bad experiences.

      Delete
  4. Don't feel guilty about visiting late for IWSG Day. Look at me...I am just now getting around to returning visits from IWSG Day. A whole week later. lol It never takes me thing long, but I was just too busy. Today was the first day I was able to get to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What you expressed is mostly the same for me. You probably write more than I do in happy times as I tend to live so much in those moments that I rarely stop to write. Down times are conducive to soul-searching and reflecting on life. Writing helps to gather and sort out the emotions and thought of those times.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment and I will visit you back :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...