Friday, April 10, 2015

Idleness

“She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.” Proverbs 31:27 (NIV)

In Proverbs 31:10-31 we find a well-known passage about a virtuous woman. I could go many different directions with this passage, but today I’m focusing on my topic. “Idle hands are the devil’s workshop” may not be a Bible verse, but it makes a valid point. To be idle is to do nothing and be unproductive. Like an idle car, you’re not getting anywhere. I’ve realized over time, especially as I get older and time seems to get shorter, that I am never really bored, just procrastinating. Believe me, I have indulged in the bread of idleness far too many times, and when I look back on that nothingness, it repulses me. All those instances I could have learned something new or gotten some chores done, but instead I wasted it on pointless YouTube videos or channel surfing. Now I’m not saying that it’s wrong to relax or unwind once in a while, but every good thing has its limits. There are productive things that can be relaxing: journaling, drawing, sewing, baking, walking, and many other pursuits. I’ll leave you with some antonyms (opposites) to the word “idle” from Thesaurus.com: active, ambitious, diligent, effective, productive, worthwhile. Those are what we should aim to be!
 

I am currently participating in the Blogging from A to Z April 2015 Challenge. My theme is life lessons from the Bible. You can find more information about the challenge by clicking on the badge to the right or click here for a list of participants. It has been an interesting experience so far and I have enjoyed finding and visiting other blogs. If you are a fellow participant, thanks for stopping by and feel free to leave a comment!

4 comments:

  1. Relaxation is healthy, idleness is a waste.

    Good luck with the 2015 A to Z Challenge!
    A to Z Co-Host S. L. Hennessy
    http://pensuasion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, good luck to you as well, I like your movie match-ups theme!

      Delete
  2. Being idle is never good. We're created in His image and we're happiest when we're creating and accomplishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's so much better to look back on a day of accomplishment instead of a day wasted.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment and I will visit you back :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...