Wednesday, April 13, 2016

K is for Khachaturian

 
              I am participating in the Blogging from A to Z Challenge, and my theme this year is classical music. Check out the list of other participants by clicking here! K is for Khachaturian. Aram Ilyich Khachaturian was an Armenian composer who lived from 1903 to 1978. Today’s featured video is the waltz from his Masquerade Suite performed by the London Symphony Orchestra.


 
 
   ·   The Masquerade Suite was incidental music written for a play by Mikhail Lermontov. Khachaturian dedicated his waltz to an actress in the play named Alla Kazanskaya.
 
   ·   Aram Khachaturian’s first exposure to music was listening to his mother sing Armenian folk music, which later inspired some of his compositions.
 
   ·   He enrolled simultaneously in the Moscow University to study biology and the Gnessin Musical Institute to study the cello. He later studied composition at the Moscow Conservatory and married fellow student composer, Nina Makarova.
 
   ·   Khachaturian was an animal lover. He was given a royal poodle whom he named Lado (after the musical notes la and do). He cared about Lado so much that he dedicated a song to him.
 
Aram khachaturian yerevan opera
Statue of Aram Khachaturian at
the Yerevan Opera Theatre
   ·   Khachaturian composed the scores for at least 17 films.
 
   ·   He created the music for the National Anthem of Armenia. He and his family were singing the words written by Sarmen to Khachaturian's newly written music. As they gathered around the piano that night, people all around on balconies and in the streets began listening and singing along.
 
 
 
Yesterday’s Trivia: Johannes Brahms was considered one of the "Three Bs," who were the other two? Answer: Johannes Brahms is often grouped with Johann Sebastian Bach and Ludwig van Beethoven as one of the “Three Bs.”
For this challenge, I’m keeping a playlist of the videos I’m using plus some extras for anyone who wants to hear more. I will update with the latest letter each day. The video I added today is a fun one! An accordion band (that’s right, a band of accordions!) is performing the “Sabre Dance” from Khachaturian’s ballet, Gayane.
 
Have you ever engaged in a time of singing around a piano? Heard the Sabre Dance before?

19 comments:

  1. I have never heard of him before! Fascinating!! No, we haven't engaged in singing around a piano, but a guitar I have :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I've heard the Sabre Dance, but didn't know who composed it. I was just thinking about how classical music is so often associated with unrelated things like commercials, cartoons, and comedy (alliteration unintended). This thought probably came because of the commercial that preceded the youtube video. Yep, it had classical music in the background while they tried to sell me some sort of medication. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, I wonder if the great composers would be proud that their work is still widely used or cringe at what some pieces are used with :)

      Delete
  3. I haven't sung around a piano but it looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely, enjoying the music. Yes, I have stood around a piano to sing. I love choir in high school and in my church. I wish I'd stuck with it. Singing is so heart healing! And Jen is right, we hear it daily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yolanda, I haven't sung with my church choir since I was in the youth group and I miss it sometimes. I do still enjoy singing along to my music in the car, when I'm not listening to classical :)

      Delete
  5. I thought that title sounded familiar. Yep, I've heard this before. And, of course, I'm quite familiar with the Sabre Dance. Just not on accordion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, I've never come across an accordion orchestra until I found that video...the things they come up with!

      Delete
  6. You are broadening my horizons, Elizabeth. I wasn't familiar with this one either.
    If you have an opportunity would you shoot me an email at sandracox1@gmail ? Thanks;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I wasn't as familiar with Khachaturian, so I learned something in writing this post :) I sent you an email with my Outlook address.

      Delete
  7. Yes, I know the Sabre Dance but not much about this artist so it was a good read. Wonderful post

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like he was an ambitious person, to enroll in two schools at the same time, and studying such contrasting subjects at that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cynthia, at first I thought there was no way he finished his studies in science, but I read further and he did indeed get a degree in Biology!

      Delete
  9. A song dedicated to a dog? Sounds like a good person to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tamara, anyone who loves animals get points in my book :)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment and I will visit you back :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...