Monday, April 25, 2016

U is for Unfinished Symphony

 
              I am participating in the Blogging from A to Z Challenge, and my theme this year is classical music. Check out the list of other participants by clicking here! U is for Unfinished Symphony. Today’s featured video is part of the first movement of Franz Schubert’s Symphony No. 8 in B minor, the “Unfinished Symphony”. It is performed by the Wiener Philharmoniker conducted by Carlos Kleiber.


 
Oil painting by
Wilhelm August Rieder
   ·   Franz Schubert was an Austrian composer who lived from 1797 to 1828.
 
   ·   As the name suggests, Schubert’s “Unfinished Symphony” was never completed. He wrote the first two movements and part of the third 6 years before his death, but he became distracted from continuing the symphony and never returned to finish it. Although, some believe that his fourth movement was the Entr’acte from the incidental music to the play, Rosamunde.
 
   ·   Schubert adored the music of Mozart, he once wrote, “O Mozart! Immortal Mozart! What countless impressions of a brighter, better life hast thou stamped upon our souls!”
 
   ·   He was very productive in his short life. In 1815, he wrote nine church works, a symphony, and 150 songs. Over the course of his life he wrote over 1,500 works, including 600 songs for solo voice and piano, seven complete symphonies, eight orchestral overtures, and seven masses.
 
   ·   Schubert was known to host musical parties called “Schubertiads” where he would sing and play his latest songs for his friends. Schubertiads would also include poetry readings, dancing, and even an occasional picnic or river trip.
Schubertiad drawing by
Moritz von Schwind

   ·   Schubert was one of the torchbearers for Beethoven’s funeral in March 1827. By his own request, Schubert was buried next to Beethoven when he died in November 1828.
http://www.classicfm.com/composers/schubert/
 

            For this challenge, I’m keeping a playlist of the videos I’m using plus some extras for anyone who wants to hear more. I will update with the latest letter each day. Today’s extra video involves another great “U” in music, the ukulele! In this video, Valéry Sauvage is playing the ukulele for Franz Schubert’s “Die Forelle” (The Trout). The lyrics were written by Francis Blanche and these are not the original lyrics, which Schubert used from a poem about fishing. In Blanche’s version, the narrator comes across a girl who is obsessed with this song. If you are interested, you can click here to read the lyrics in French and English.
 

 
Who, besides me, would love to attend a Schubertiad? Have you ever had a period of extreme productivity?

20 comments:

  1. No, but I'd like a period of extreme productivity. Any day now...

    Liz A. from
    Laws of Gravity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting he wanted to be buried next to Beethoven. I have had a day or two of extreme productivity but not years :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty, I feel productive every once in a while, but it never lasts long.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I'm jealous of his productivity. Did he have kids? Maybe I can use that as my excuse. Plus computer and TV. I need to go hide out somewhere and write. Walden's Pond anyone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tamara, Walden's Pond would be great! And no, he did not have kids, so that's a legitimate excuse :) I don't have kids either, what's mine? Lol.

      Delete
  4. That's a lot of works for someone who barely made it past thirty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, it certainly makes me feel very inefficient in comparison, especially since he was my age when he died.

      Delete
  5. I have periods of relative productivity...in fits and starts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Green, I'm the same way. I often have trouble finishing projects I start in periods of productivity.

      Delete
  6. The perfect choice for your U-post.
    Extreme productivity? I experienced that in January. At the moment, the A to Z challenge is the focus.
    Unless we can include daily posts and visits to blogs productivity? Can we? I'm sure it counts.
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, I think it should count! And if it does, I had a few productive days this month :)

      Delete
  7. I know Schubert by some of his pieces that I learned when I took piano lessons. A Schubertiad sounds like fun. Did he actually bring his piano onboard for the river trips or were there lighter alternate instruments used for such excursions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question, Cynthia! He wrote a lot of songs, so he may have just sung them a Capella or maybe they went out on their ventures, then played the music later in the evening.

      Delete
  8. I did not realize Schubert died so young. He certainly accomplished a lot though, didn't he?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I think Schubert had the shortest life among the composers I featured, and he accomplished so much!

      Delete
  9. It's like he knew his life was going to be short so he did so much in that lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, it does appear that way, with all the pieces he composed in such a short time.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment and I will visit you back :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...