Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Q is for Quartet

 
              I am participating in the Blogging from A to Z Challenge, and my theme this year is classical music. Check out the list of other participants by clicking here! Q is for Quartet. Today’s featured video is Claude Debussy’s Quartet in G Minor, Op. 10, Movement 2 performed by the Danish String Quartet.



   ·   Claude Debussy was a French composer who lived from 1862 to 1918.
 
   ·   In 1884, Debussy won a four-year scholarship at the Académie des Beaux-Arts, but he found the environment there boorish and stifling and he was often too depressed to compose. He desired to follow his own path and said, "I am sure the Institute would not approve, for, naturally it regards the path which it ordains as the only right one. But there is no help for it! I am too enamoured of my freedom, too fond of my own ideas!”
 
   ·   One of Debussy’s most famous piano pieces in the Suite bergamasque, which includes Clair de lune as its third movement.
 
   ·   Some people think that Debussy structured some of his works mathematically. A book by Roy Howat, indicates that “some of Debussy's pieces can be divided into sections that reflect the golden ratio, frequently by using the numbers of the standard Fibonacci sequence.”*
 
Tallinn String Quartet in Tel Aviv
The Tallinn String Quartet
   ·   The Quartet in G Minor is Claude Debussy’s only string quartet.
 
   ·   A string quartet consists of two violins, a viola, and a cello. The current form of string quartets was developed by Joseph Haydn. Most well-known composers since the 18th century have written string quartets.
Sources: * https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Debussy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_quartet
http://www.classicfm.com/composers/debussy/


            Yesterday’s trivia: Which character in Peter and the Wolf did the clarinet represent? Answer: The clarinet represented the cat :)

For this challenge, I’m keeping a playlist of the videos I’m using plus some extras for anyone who wants to hear more. I will update with the latest letter each day. The video I added to the playlist today is the Suite bergamasque: III. Clair de lune, and not abandoning letter Q, it is performed by the Quebec Symphony Orchestra.


 
Do have a favorite string quartet piece? Or is there another type of quartet you are fond of (i.e. barbershop, guitar)?

18 comments:

  1. I imagine the stiff rules of the time were tough for creative types. Some of us don't like rules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, if composers never went against the rules, music would never change, so I'm glad many of them did :)

      Delete
  2. Music with mathematics? That's awesome. I'll have to see if my husband's familiar with this as he is a mathematician.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tamara, I did read all about how Debussy's music was connected, but I like the connection between nature and the Fibonacci sequence.

      Delete
  3. Learned something new with what comprised a quartet. I do like barbershop quartet. It was fun to watch the guys in Disneyland riding their bikes and singing barbershop quartet songs!

    good one for Q :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betty! I enjoyed the barbershop quartet in the Music Man, seeing one in person and on bikes would be awesome :)

      Delete
  4. Fabulous post- what a great theme for the A to Z Challenge! I look forward each day to seeing what else you have come up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathe! It is my pleasure to share these great composers!

      Delete
  5. An inflexible environment can suck the creativity right out of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I totally agree, your description makes me think of my job and its creativity-sucking.

      Delete
  6. I love Debussy's piano music, but not really heard much of his other work. Listening to this piece for the first time, it has Debussy written all over it! If I didn't know he'd written it, I certainly would have suspected it.

    Quartets? I don't know that I have a favorite. The Beatles, perhaps? ;)

    Visiting from the A-to-Z Challenge
    Colin D. Smith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colin, thanks for the visit! Debussy's quartet is quite lovely. The Beatles made an excellent quartet :)

      Delete
  7. I liked playing in quartets, although I didn't get to do it much. Not really a good woodwind quartet. Or is there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, I do not know of any woodwind quartets off the top of my head, I guess another YouTube search is in order :)

      Delete
  8. I like a string quartet. It's interesting about the mathematics and Debussy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, string quartets are very pleasant to listen to, I enjoy the sound of those instruments combined.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment and I will visit you back :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...