|The Lion King soundtrack|
Saturday, April 30, 2016
Z is for Zimmer
I am participating in the Blogging from A to Z Challenge, and my theme this year is classical music. Check out the list of other participants by clicking here! Z is for Zimmer. Hans Zimmer is a German composer who was born in 1957. Today’s featured video is pretty awesome! I figured a great way to end the A to Z Challenge would be with a bit of fun! This is a piece called “Discombobulate” from the Sherlock Holmes (2009) soundtrack, which Zimmer composed. This video starts out with Hans Zimmer himself playing the cimbalom (at least I think that’s what that is), and there are also violins, a cello, a banjo, a ukulele, an accordion, a “broken pub piano”…oh, and Robert Downey Jr. is there as well :)
Video link: https://youtu.be/R89UGKuyodk
· Hans Zimmer was born in Germany and moved to London as a teenager. He started his music career playing keyboards and synthesizers and was involved with a few bands, including, The Buggles and the Italian group, Krisma.
· While living in London, he became interested in working with film music and collaborated with his friend and mentor, Stanley Myers, on some film scores. He has become known as a lead innovator in integrating electronic music with traditional orchestral arrangements.
· After moving to the United States, he reached a milestone in his career with Rain Man (1988), which earned him his first Academy Award nomination for Best Original Score.
· He has written the scores for many blockbuster movies, including Driving Miss Daisy, Gladiator, Inception, Sherlock Holmes, and Interstellar, he also collaborated with other composers on The Pirates of the Caribbean series and The Dark Knight Trilogy.
· Hans Zimmer is currently on tour in Europe, and he is performing in Poland this very weekend.
For this challenge, I have kept a playlist of the videos I used plus some extras for anyone who wants to hear more. Today, I’m adding the last two videos for letter Z. The second one I added is a piece called “Time” from Hans Zimmer’s score to Inception (2010). This beautiful music is put together with some lovely photos, and for me, it has an emotionally stirring quality that causes me to reflect on how all good things must come to an end.
I hope you have enjoyed my A to Z Challenge theme and congratulations to all who have completed the challenge this year! What is your favorite Hans Zimmer movie score?